Orbera Intragastric Balloon
Orbera Managed Weight Loss System
What is Orbera Managed Weight Loss System?
The Orbera managed weight loss system is an FDA-approved intragastric balloon weight loss program that enhances weight loss and assists in addressing obesity. The Orbera balloon is a soft silicone, stretchable intragastric device that is temporarily inserted inside the stomach without surgery. It can help people who have failed to lose weight despite following exercise, supervised diet, or behavior modifications programs.
Indications and Contraindications of Orbera Managed Weight Loss System
The Orbera weight loss system is indicated in the following patients:
- Unable to lose weight with diet and exercise
- BMI index between 30 and 40
- Willing to engage in a medically supervised behavior and lifestyle modification program
The Orbera weight loss system is contraindicated in the following patients:
- Alcoholics and drug abusers
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Allergic to substances utilized during the procedure
- Previously undergone bariatric surgery
- Suffering from inflammatory diseases of the GI tract, abnormalities in the pharynx or esophagus, prone to upper GI bleeding, or have a hiatal hernia
Procedure for Orbera Intragastric Balloon Insertion
The Orbera balloon insertion is a non-surgical, non-invasive, non-permanent, incision-free outpatient procedure that takes about 20 minutes.
A diagnostic endoscopy is performed first to ensure it is safe to perform the procedure. Once you are mildly sedated, the Orbera intragastric balloon is inserted while deflated into the stomach through the esophagus using a non-invasive endoscopic procedure. A sterile saline solution is then filled into the deflated balloon through a self-sealing valve utilizing a syringe until the required balloon size is achieved. Based on the requirement, the balloon can be filled with 400 to 700 cc of saline solution. When in the stomach, the Orbera intragastric balloon can remain in place for up to 6 months.
Orbera Patient Brochure
What Happens Post Insertion of the Orbera Intragastric Balloon?
Post balloon insertion, your physician will continue to monitor your body’s reaction to the device. After discharge from the hospital, you will be instructed on how to gradually initiate a healthy dietary regimen, starting with liquids and then transitioning to solids, which is designed by a dietitian. An exercise regimen will also be designed to ensure the success of the procedure. By adhering to the Orbera Managed Weight Loss Program, patients can lose an average of 2.2 pounds per week or a total of 22 pounds to 33 pounds. Following 6 months, the balloon is withdrawn through a simple endoscopic procedure.
What are the Advantages of the Orbera Managed Weight Loss System?
The advantages of the Orbera weight loss system include:
- High safety profile with more than 277,000 Orbera balloon placements globally
- Patients can accomplish 3x the weight loss with Orbera than with diet and exercise alone
- Demonstrates 48% more weight loss than any other FDA approved balloon weight loss system
- Encourages portion control
- Non-surgical weight loss method
- Teaches healthy eating habits
- Reduces hunger and limits food intake
- Customizable treatment program
What are the Risks and Complications Associated with the Orbera Managed Weight Loss System?
As it is a non-invasive procedure, there are very minimal risks involved. Possible risks and complications noted with the Orbera managed weight loss system include:
- Complete or partial blockage of the bowel
- Low potassium level
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Stomach discomfort
- Injury to stomach lining